|Pet/CT Scan Instructions|
Preparation Instructions for a PET/CT Scan
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Current insurance card
- Drivers license or photo ID
- Co-payment or deductible
A day or two before your scheduled appointment time, you will receive a call from someone at Renown X-Ray & Imaging to review the preparation instructions with you and answer any questions you may have.
A day or two before your scheduled appointment time, you will receive a call from someone at the PET/CT center. She will go over your preparation instructions with you. If you have any questions, this is a good time to ask them.
- For the entire day prior to your PET/CT scan do not eat sugars or carbohydrates. Avoid items like bread, pastry, cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice, soy products, any vegetables, fruits, desserts, cakes, yogurt or cheese. The only beverage you should be drinking once you start the diet is “STRICTLY WATER ONLY”. No milk, soft drinks, tonic or flavored water, juices, beer, alcoholic beverages or any canned protein shakes (e.g. Ensure). Avoid any processed meats like deli meats, sausage links or bacon. You may ONLY have pure protein meats (chicken, fish, beef or pork) and eggs.
- Nothing to eat or drink (except water) for at least 6 hours before your scan. This includes candy, gum, mints, cough drops, and Nicorette gum.
- Unless you are on fluid restriction, make sure you drink 16 oz. of water on the hour two hours before your exam. On the morning of your exam you should drink 16oz of water at ______ and another 16oz at ______.
- If you are diabetic, please contact us for special arrangements.
- You may take prescribed medications with water. If any of your medications must be taken with food, ask your doctor whether you should skip your morning dose, take it later in the day, or take it without food on the day of your scan.
- DO NOT perform any strenuous or vigorous activity (ex. aerobic, jogging) for at least 24 hours prior to the scan.
- The PET/CT scanning room may be chilly so wear warm, comfortable clothing (jogging suit) with no metal parts (zipper).
- If you are extremely claustrophobic or tend to be extremely nervous and fidgety, consult your doctor about the advisability of taking a tranquilizer before coming for your PET/CT scan, or receiving light sedation at the PET/CT center. There is a nurse on staff at the PET/CT center who can administer and monitor light sedation. If you do require sedation, PLEASE arrange to have someone drive you home after your test.
What to expect once you arrive at the PET/CT center:
- You will be registered at the front desk.
- The nurse will escort you to a quiet preparation area where she will check your glucose level with a finger stick. Ideally your blood glucose should be below 150 mg/dl.
- The nurse will then start an IV in your arm.
- The nurse and the technologist will discuss your medical history and answer all your questions.
- The technologist will inject a small amount of radioactive glucose through your IV. The injection will not make you feel any differently. Some people experience a short-lived metallic taste in their mouth.
- You will rest quietly for 45-60 minutes.
- The technologist will ask you to empty your bladder.
- The technologist will then perform the PET/CT scan. You will lay on your back on a narrow table with your arms above your head, if possible. The exam takes comfortable as possible.
- The IV will be removed and you will be free to go home and resume your normal activities. If you have had sedation, we request that you arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home.
- Your appointment will take approximately 2 hours.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 775-982-5842. Ask for the PET/CT department.