Renown Regional Medical Center is the first and only hospital in northern Nevada to provide cancer patients with the TomoTherapy® Hi-Art® System, a radiation treatment system with a built-in computerized tomography (CT) scanner. This system allows physicians to view a cancer in three dimensions (3D) so the radiation beam can be focused and delivered with extreme precision. It is not the radiation therapy used for all kind of cancers, but your cancer doctor will choose this treatment if it is right for your cancer.
Housed at Renown Institute for Cancer, at Renown Regional Medical Center, the The TomoTherapy Hi-Art System provides benefits to patients that are greatly improved when compared to other radiation therapy options.
Patients usually experience:
- Reduced side effects, because less healthy tissue is impacted during radiation therapy, resulting in faster recovery times that enable patients to return to their daily activities sooner.
- Integrated CTrue™ technology, that allows CT scans of the treated area to be taken at the time of treatment, providing the most up-to-date information regarding the shape, size and location of the tumor, allowing for the most accurate treatment and saving healthy tissue.
- Shorter, more accurate treatments.
- Less pain and discomfort.
What is TomoTherapy?
The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System is the region's most advanced form of radiation therapy. TomoTherapy offers:
- CT and three-dimensional capabilities, ensuring pinpoint accuracy, sparing healthy tissue - even as the tumor shrinks.
- Virtually no limitations on the shape, size, type and location of tumors it can treat.
- Fewer side effects.
TomoTherapy combines the latest radiation technology with a CT scanner so doctors can view the treatment tumor location in 3D right before each treatment. Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) is the most advanced form of radiation therapy. It ensures patients receive the most accurate treatment because the treatment plan is based on your anatomy. By seeing the shape of the tumor in 3D, radiation beams can be delivered with extreme precision, reducing the damage to healthy tissue. TomoTherapy is the only treatment system that uses this type of IGRT technology.
What Kinds of Cancers can be Treated With The TomoTherapy? The The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System can treat all types of cancers at all stages including:
- Mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer of the lining of the lung or the lining of the abdominal cavity. TomoTherapy is currently the only treatment available for mesothelioma.
- Cancers of the head, neck, brain and spinal cord.
- Gynecologic cancers including ovarian cancer, cervix cancer, and endometrial cancer of the uterus.
- Bone cancers (bone marrow).
- Cancers of other areas including breast, prostate, lung, liver, colon, anus, pancreas, lymph nodes, throat, stomach, and digestive system.
- Prostate cancer.
The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System can be used for both adult and pediatric patients and multiple tumors simultaneously. TomoTherapy may be a treatment alternative for individuals who have already gone through radiation treatments and have been told they cannot receive any more treatment.