|Resistant Hypertension Clinic|
Treating RESISTANT Hypertension
What is Resistant Hypertension?
Hypertension is the clinical name for high blood pressure. Hypertension, when poorly controlled, can lead to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. For most people, blood pressure can be controlled with a combination of medications and lifestyle changes. However, for about 10-15% of people with hypertension the blood pressure is more difficult to control.
When blood pressure is not controlled with three or more medications, in the right doses, we call it Resistant Hypertension. The management of resistant hypertension can be challenging for both the patient and the health care provider. Often, referral to a clinical hypertension specialist, is indicated to help get resistant hypertension under control.
Continue with the basics. Stay apprised of your blood pressure patterns by monitoring your blood pressure with an at-home monitoring system or by wearing a pager-sized automatic blood pressure recorder.
- Avoid medications or other substances that elevate blood pressure
- Take all medications as directed every day
- Make lifestyle choices that include reducing salt intake
- Exercise and maintain a healthy weight
- See your health care provider on a regular basis until the blood pressure is under control
- Consider a visit or referral to the Renown Resistant Hypertension Clinic if blood pressure remains poorly controlled
The Resistant Hypertension Clinic at Renown Vascular Care
Our Resistant Hypertension Clinic is led by Michael J. Bloch, MD, an American Society of Hypertension Certified Hypertension Specialist, who is a nationally known expert in the field of resistant hypertension.
Our services include:
- Initial consultation with our Medical Director, Michael Bloch, MD
- Visits with a clinical pharmacist to help manage medications including potential drug interactions
- 24-Hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, when indicated
- Evaluation for potentially reversible 'secondary causes' of high blood pressure
- Intensification of lifestyle changes to help minimize medication usage
- Enrollment in clinical trials if indicated
- Access to extensive library of patient education materials
If you've been diagnosed with uncontrolled resistant hypertension, consider asking your primary care provider for a referral to the Renown Resistant Hypertension Clinic at Renown Vascular Care.
For more information or to set up a consultation, visit us at www.renown.org/vascular or call us 775-982-2084.
Resistant Hypertension Clinic
Renown Vascular Care
Located at Renown Institute for Heart & Vascular Health
1155 Mill Street
Reno, NV 89502