The primary responsibility for this position will vary and may include any (or a combination of all) of the following:
1. Proficiently collects blood specimens in a timely manner as specified by laboratory policies and procedures and in accordance with federal and state regulations. Technical proficiency includes, but not limited to venipuncture, capillary collections, arterial collections, pediatric patients and critical care patients.
2. Proficiently receive, prepare, process and store samples for testing; this includes properly tracking and delivering of samples to appropriate departments. Must prepare shipments for, and interact with reference lab.
3. Uses the laboratory information system to determine test status and keep nursing personnel informed to assist in and expedite patient care. Perform all registration, scheduling, order entry and reception functions and may float to various lab sites within the health system.
4. Expedites and provides healthcare access through the accurate gathering of demographic, sponsorship or guardian data, insurance, clinical, financial, and statistical information from a variety of sources, i.e. patients, patient’s families, providers, provider office staff, county and/or governmental agencies, CMS, FMS, etc.
5. Ensures reimbursement for services rendered through verification of insurance eligibility/benefits, obtaining insurance authorization within required time frame, identification and collection of patient financial obligation and accurate charge order entry. Serves the patient and family in such a manner as to make the admission process as comfortable and pleasant as possible
6. Manages supply inventory, ordering, receiving. May be responsible to effectively place orders in Renown inventory management system, based on established par levels for the clinical lab. Effectively work with departments to monitor inventory, replenish stock within each department and put supplies away in a timely manner.
7. Other support tasks may include telephone answering, non-blood specimen collections, special procedures, customer support, and any clerical duties required.
8. This position may require driving company vehicles in order to render laboratory services to Renown Health patients. (200295 and 200288)
9. Performs microbiology culture set ups and staining processes (200287 only).
10. Performs twelve-lead EKG’s (400288 only)
Duties listed above may provide support for a 24-hour/7-day a week operation to aid the provider in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The incumbent is expected to be technically proficient at all times in a variety of stressful and challenging situations such as a trauma or a code blue situation (depending on location).