The major challenges to this position are to be knowledgeable in the physiology and methodology of breastfeeding, working with maternity patients of different socioeconomic backgrounds and providing education to nursing staff. The Lactation Consultant will analyze assessment information to identify concerns and/or problems, develop a plan of care based on identified concerns or problems and the mother’s breastfeeding goals, formulate expected outcomes of suggested interventions, evaluate and document the plan of care in the client record.
The incumbent must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care based on physical, motor/sensory, psychosocial and safety appropriate to the neonate, infant, child, adolescent and adult patient population.
It is common to encounter potential hazards in the healthcare environment. Some of these hazards could include, but are not limited to: radiation, toxic chemicals, biological hazards, heat, noise, dust and stress. Renown Health has a Safety Management Program in place that addresses these issues.
This position (does) does not provide patient care.
1. Code of Ethics for Nurses With Interpretive Statements, American Nurses Association Publication
2. Edwards, DuAnne; The Synergy Model: Linking Patient Needs to Nursing Competencies, Critical Care Nurse; Vol. 19, No. 1, February, 1999
3. Magnet Recognition Progress, Recognizing Excellence in Nursing Service - Healthcare Organization Instruction and Application Process Manual, American Nurses Association Credentialing Center; Washington, DC, 2002, pp. 134, 135, 127.
4. Nurse Practice Act, Nevada Revised Statutes, Chapter 632, NAC, Chapter 632. Nevada State Board of Nursing, September, 2002.
5. Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, American Nurses Association Publication.