Weight loss surgery is a big decision. We understand that the desire to have bariatric surgery is a choice you are making for your long-term health. Our team provides education on the necessary steps before, during and after surgery to ensure you are successful in your journey to better health.
Attend one of our seminars to learn if you are a candidate. We will provide you with a list of physicians performing weight loss surgery at Renown, allowing you to choose the surgeon best for your journey. You can also attend our monthly Bariatric Support Group to better understand the journey from others who have had bariatric surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Obesity in the United States is on the rise with 30% of adults considered obese. It is much more than a concern for how we look, obesity can cause health problems like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and even infertility.
Diet and exercise is the typical way individuals try to lose excess weight but many fail. Beyond our control are genetics and disease, and for these reasons, sometimes failure is experienced. If this is your situation, you may want to consider weight loss surgery.
Candidate selection is based on the National Institute of Health (NIH) criteria, including the following:
- Age 18 to 65
- Body mass index greater than 35 with at least one health issue such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and many others.
- Body mass index 40 and greater qualifies with or without other health issues
Obtaining Insurance Approval
Most insurance providers cover bariatric surgery, yet it is important for you to contact the Member Services telephone number on the back of your insurance card to determine whether or not weight loss surgery is covered by your insurance plan. Some insurance companies cover certain types of weight loss surgery, and some insurance companies do not cover weight loss surgery. It's important to find out right away whether or not your insurance plan will cover your weight loss surgery, along with any insurance criteria.
Getting insurance approval can take time. Each insurance company has specific criteria that must be met prior to approving you for weight loss surgery. We will help coordinate between you, your insurance plan and your surgery staff to help you meet the criteria.
When you have met all of the insurance criteria, your surgeon's insurance specialist will submit your materials and letter of medical necessity to the insurance company. You will meet with your surgeon once a month preoperatively after you have been approved by your insurance company.
Weight Loss Surgery Options at Renown
Renown Health performs the following bariatric surgeries:
- Gastric sleeve: Sleeve gastrectomy is a restrictive procedure that decrease the size of the stomach, limiting the amount of food that can be eaten at one time. During the sleeve gastrectomy procedure, the vertical sleeve of stomach is created using a stapling device. The rest of the stomach is removed. As a result, the patient feels fuller sooner and stays fuller longer. This procedure allows for normal digestion and absorption and is typically done laparoscopically.
- Gastric bypass: This procedure uses stapling to create a very small stomach pouch. This greatly reduces the amount of food that can be eaten at one time. The rest of the stomach and a section of the small intestine are bypassed. This delays food from mixing with digestive juices and stops a portion of calories from being absorbed. In most cases, patients report an early sense of fullness and satisfaction that reduces the desire to eat.
- Gastric revision surgery: Patients who had bariatric surgery may experience weight gain or gastrointestinal conditions. These patients may need to have their original operation revised. Revisional surgery can be complex. Consult with your surgeon to determine if revisional surgery is appropriate.