Varian TrueBeam is used to treat cancer without incisions or surgery in just minutes a day.
The TrueBeam technology combines a 3-D imaging system and a respiratory monitoring system, which allow doctors to see tumors before each treatment and track breath patterns. This ensures pinpoint accuracy so healthy tissue remains intact.
The TomoTherapy® Hi-Art® System combines a radiation treatment system with a built-in CT scanner. It combines Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) — the most advanced form of radiation therapy currently available — with non-invasive imaging so doctors can view the tumor location in 3-D before each treatment.
Seeing the shape of the tumor allows radiation beams to be delivered with extreme precision, reducing side effects and damage to healthy tissue. IGRT technology is exclusive to TomoTherapy.
The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System is the region's most advanced form of radiation therapy, offering:
- CT and three-dimensional capabilities, ensuring pinpoint accuracy, sparing healthy tissue — even as the tumor shrinks.
- Virtually no limitations on the shape, size, type and location of tumors it can treat.
- Fewer side effects.
What kinds of cancers can be treated with TomoTherapy?
The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System can treat all types of cancers at all stages including:
- Mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer of the lung lining or the abdominal cavity lining. TomoTherapy is currently the only treatment available for mesothelioma.
- Cancers of the head, neck, brain and spinal cord.
- Gynecologic cancers including ovarian cancer, cervix cancer, and endometrial cancer of the uterus.
- Bone cancers (bone marrow).
- Cancers of other areas, including breast, prostate, lung, liver, colon, anus, pancreas, lymph nodes, throat, stomach, and digestive system.
The TomoTherapy Hi-Art Treatment System can be used for both adult and pediatric patients and multiple tumors simultaneously. TomoTherapy may be a treatment alternative for individuals who have already gone through radiation treatments and have been told they cannot receive any more treatment.
Patients usually experience:
- Reduced side effects, because less healthy tissue is impacted during radiation therapy, resulting in faster recovery times that enable patients to return to their daily activities sooner.
- Integrated CTrue™ technology, that allows CT scans of the treated area to be taken at the time of treatment, providing the most up-to-date information regarding the shape, size and location of the tumor, allowing for the most accurate treatment and saving healthy tissue.
- Shorter, more accurate treatments.
- Less pain and discomfort.
Brachytherapy (internal radiation therapy)
Brachytherapy uses radiation to destroy cancer cells and shrink tumors. The radiation source, which looks like seeds, ribbons, or wires, is placed inside your body.