Get the Flu Shot, Not the Flu
Healthcare experts from Renown Health provide flu shots and pneumonia shots to the public at a variety of locations throughout the Truckee Meadows from late September through early December each year.
- Adult Flu Shots: No out-of-pocket costs for Medicare beneficiaries (Part B), Senior Care Plus members and Hometown Health fully insured HMO and PPO plans. Please bring your insurance card and current ID. Without a qualifying plan the individual cost is $35.
- Pediatric Flu Shots: Flu shots are available to children ages 9-17 with a parent present. Children ages 6 months to 8 years old can receive a flu shot by appointment only. To schedule, call 775-982-5433.
- Pneumonia Shots: For those who meet CDC criteria. No out-of-pocket costs for Medicare (Part B) and Senior Care Plus members. Without a qualifying plan the individual cost is $80.
Flu Shot FAQs
- A fever of 100 degrees or higher, although not everyone with the flu has a fever
- A cough and/or sore throat
- A runny or stuffy nose
- Headaches and/or body aches
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)
In general, the flu is worse than the common cold. Symptoms such as fever, body aches, tiredness, and cough are more common and intense with the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Purple or blue discoloration of the lips
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and worse cough