The new Exoskeleton Robotic Suit (Ekso) offered at Renown Rehabilitation Hospital helps people who have suffered a stroke or spinal cord injury regain mobility.
With assistance from a physical therapist, the hydraulically-powered suit has a computer interface system that uses force and motion sensors to help you build strength and relearn normal movement. Patients have been getting out of wheelchairs, standing and walking unassisted.
There are several other factors and features of the Ekso, which is made by Ekso Bionics, that make it beneficial.
- It enables you to walk a straight line, stand from a sitting position, stand for an extended period of time and sit down from a standing position
- The suit is battery powered and fits over your clothing
- Treatment times are just 45 minutes to an hour
- The suit is covered by most insurances
- Therapy sessions are done by Renown physical therapists who were trained and certified to specifically use the Ekso for rehabilitation
To learn more about the Ekso and to see if it's right for you, contact us.