Discover stillness and tranquility. Learn to use meditation as a powerful tool and experience the benefits for the body, mind and spirit!
Every Thursday ◦ 2:30 – 2:50 p.m.
Estelle J. Kelsey Interfaith Sanctuary ◦ Renown Regional Medical Center ◦ Instructor: Galen Gorelangton
Mindfulness Meditation class at Renown with Galen Gorelangton:
Discover stillness and tranquility
Learn to use meditation as a powerful tool and experience the benefits for the body, mind and spirit!
Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet, it is a way of entering into the quiet that is already present
Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression
Improve sleep and lower blood pressure
Enhance creativity and concentration
Create inner peace and connect to your spirit
Awaken your intuition
Here are a few tips that will enhance anyone’s experience in our meditation:
* Take a seat. Find a place to sit that feels calm and quiet to you. There is no “right” way to sit, just get comfortable. If you choose, you can also lay down.
* For meditation purposes, don’t get caught up in the “how,” the most important thing is to just relax.
* Our goal is not to shut down all thoughts or emotions. Instead, we notice thoughts and feelings as they arise and observe them with a non-judgmental and loving attitude. You then redirect your attention back to the point of focus, which is often the breath. This process may happen a hundred times in one session and that’s okay.
* Don’t worry too much that you’re doing it “right.” There is no goal: just allow peace and healing to happen.
* Really commit yourself. Don’t just say, “Sure, I’ll try this for a couple days.” Really commit yourself to at least a month of regular practice.
* Close with kindness. Once the meditation has ended, check in with yourself. Notice how your body feels, your thoughts and emotions. Take a moment to thank yourself for taking the time out of your day to rest in your own space and giving yourself the opportunity to relax.
For more information, please email instructor, Galen Gorelangton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Galen Gorelangton is a doctoral candidate in religious rhetoric at UNR and a seminarian at the Institute of Buddhist Studies. He also has graduate degrees in philosophy and identity studies and currently teaches English at the University. Galen is an active member of the Reno Buddhist Center. Having experienced the healing benefits of meditation, he hopes to share it with others to aid them in their spiritual and healing journeys.
Joining the Meditation:
Virtual Attendees: Please join us “LIVE” in Microsoft Teams. Click Here to Join
In-Person Attendees: You can now attend in person, and no RSVP is required to attend.
Directions: Please visit Renown Campus Parking Maps and select “Renown Regional Medical Center Visitor Guide” to view or download the PDF.
The Spiritual Center is on the 1st Floor of the Sierra Tower on the right, past the elevators near Sierra gifts.
Please note: Masks are required to enter the hospital while navigating to and from your meeting(s). Once inside the Spiritual Center, masks will be optional to wear during your session(s).