5 Tips to Keep Your Brain Nimble
August 18, 2017
Not all memory loss is inevitable — there are several things you can do to keep your brain nimble at any age. Find out how brain exercises, a healthy diet and daily movement can improve your brain’s focus.
A modest decline in memory is to be expected as we get older. We forget someone’s name but recall it later. We find the need to make lists to remember things more pressing. Manageable? Yes. But frustrating nonetheless.
The good news is we don’t have to sit back and succumb to age-related memory loss. There are concrete things we can do at any age to keep our brains sharp, nimble and engaged.
Five Simple Brain Exercises
1. Volunteer or participate in meaningful activities outside of work. This engages your brain and emotions in a healthy, positive way.
2. Engage in moderate, regular exercise to tone body and mind. Overall good health is critical to brain health. Even casual daily walking can boost your mental abilities.
3. Eat the rainbow. Choose to include plenty of colorful fruits and veggies and ease up on processed foods in your daily diet. The proper nutrients can improve circulation to your brain, which will amp up your cognitive abilities. Consult your doctor for the best diet and supplement choices for your specific health needs
4. Get a blood test to determine your body’s hormonal and nutrient levels. Specific hormones and nutrients can affect cognition. Be mindful of your cholesterol levels, and if you take cholesterol medications, such as statin drugs, be aware they can also affect your mental faculties.
5. Engage in brain activities like reading, crossword puzzles, Sudoku and Trivial Pursuit. These types of activities can improve your brain’s focus and concentration and — most important — test your memory and general knowledge. You derive more benefit by engaging in these activities consistently for short amounts of time, so make a weekly appointment with yourself to build brainpower.
Fishing can be great for relaxation, and it’s a great family activity. Here are five suggestions for great local fishing spots, plus a recipe for trout if you wind up catching one!
There are many ways to unwind in the great outdoors i