7 Morning Skin Care Tips for All-Day Protection
May 03, 2022
We talked to Heidi Nicol, licensed aesthetician with Renown Dermatology, Laser and Skin Care, to learn about the 7 best morning skincare tips that will provide all-day protection.
“Your skin uses the nighttime hours to repair itself, secreting oils and toxins in the process,” says Heidi Nicol, a licensed aesthetician with Renown Dermatology, Laser and Skin Care. “Cleansing your skin in the morning is very important. It removes these oils and toxins and any nighttime products you use that are not suitable for daytime use — such as retinol and exfoliating acids.”
Nicol’s process includes choosing the right products for your skin type, using them in the proper order and applying them correctly.
Steps to Perfect Your Morning Routine
- Step 1: Cleanser. Use a cleanser tailored to your skin type. Many lines of products produce unique formulas for your specific skin, including dry skin, oily skin, and a combination of the two. Be sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse again!
- Step 2: Toner. After cleansing, you should apply a toner quickly. This is like a big drink of water for the skin and helps trap moisture into your skin and prevent evaporation.
- Step 3: Serum. Choose a serum that addresses your skin’s needs. If you use more than one type of serum, alternate them instead of layering. Nicol recommends using a Vitamin C serum, an antioxidant serum, and hydrating serums.
- Step 4: Moisturizer. Select a daily moisturizer that fits your skin type.
- Step 5: Eye Cream. “A good eye cream is refreshing and can help the delicate skin around the eyes,” says Nicol.
- Step 6: Sunscreen. This is the most essential step when it comes to protecting your face. Some sunscreens come tinted, which can replace foundation. “Do not forget to also apply to the neck, chest, and hands,” says Nicol. “It is important to reapply every few hours when you are out in the sun.”
- Step 7: Makeup. After you’ve completed the above steps, proceed with your make- up routine. This is a crucial step for protecting your skin. Many aestheticians recommend wearing makeup every day.