A Guide to Summer Weekend Fun During the School Year
August 12, 2022
Although students are heading back to school, that doesn’t mean the summer fun has to be over. Weekends and after-school hours still call for engaging activities for the kids, even if the extreme heat and thunderstorms don’t beckon you and your kids outside. There are several creative ways you can keep your children active indoors during those coveted out-of-school hours.
Below are 10 activities sure to spark fun for the kids from the comfort of your own home.
1. Dance It OutChildren are bundles of energy. Turn on your child's favorite music station, roll up the carpet and dance it out.
2. Paint PicturesAbove all, kids love to use their imagination. Why not gather up some paintbrushes and some colorful paints to let your child create a masterpiece?
3. Scavenger HuntWhenever children go on a scavenger hunt, it's a mini adventure. Collect some of your child's favorite items, and hide them around the house, giving them clues to help them find them.
4. Balloon TossMany kids love balloons. Tossing balloons into the air and having your child keep them up in the air without having them touch the floor is an active energy burner.
5. Science ExperimentsIn case you have a budding scientist at home, choose a science experiment to spark their imaginative spirit. Making water bottle lava lamps or frozen slime are terrific indoor STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) activities.
6. Arts and CraftsFrom scrapbooks with their favorite photos to crafts from household items, arts and crafts are a great way for your kids to work their innovation muscles.
7. Indoor BowlingBowling in your own home – unexpected? Sure. Loads of fun? Absolutely! You can purchase an indoor bowling set for less than twenty dollars or create your own with household items.
8. Board GamesBecause of the limitless options, board games are another favorite indoor activity for the whole family. Your child can learn vital social skills like learning to wait their turn, as well as memory formation and problem-solving skills.
9. Stage a Puppet ShowMaking sock puppets (or even just using “hand puppets”) can really spark a day of spectacular imagination. Draft a script and perform a puppet play for the whole family!
10. Karaoke ConcertSinging certainly gets you in the groove of having a great time with your family and building memories – and you don’t even need a karaoke machine to do it! There are many digital karaoke options available for your family’s delight.
It’s no surprise that after-school hours and weekend days are premium play time for kids, especially during the summer months. As shown above, indoor summer activities when the weather isn’t conducive to spending time outdoors can still be fun and engaging for everyone.
Preventing Heatstroke in Children
The summer is here, and it is time to take action. The heat can be dangerous for kids, so make sure that you are aware of the signs of heatstroke and know how to prevent it.
Did you know heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash re
Protect Yourself and Others with the Flu ShotFlu shots don’t just protect those who get vaccinated; they protect everyone, including your family and the community. As we continue navigating the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, Renown Health infection prevention expert Whitney RoRead More
Explore Our Health ServicesExplore All ServicesExplore Our Health Services