Lighten Up With Healthy Shrimp Avocado Spring Rolls
March 20, 2018
The longer days of spring bring us more daylight and more hours to enjoy the sun. At dinnertime, we’re craving something lighter than the heavy stews and dishes of winter. Lighten up your palate for spring and usher in the new season — without sacrificing taste — with these do-it-yourself spring rolls. And with no cooking required, kids can roll up their sleeves and easily join the fun.
Shrimp Avocado Spring Rolls
- Servings 5 people
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- 10 sheets rice paper
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles
- 2 avocados, sliced or chopped
- 1 large carrot thinly julienne cuts
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh shrimp cooked
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Fresh mint
- Butter lettuce
- Soak rice paper, one at a time, for about 45 seconds in a shallow bowl of warm water.
- Place the soft rice paper onto a flat surface.
- Add the filling (small amount of rice noodles, mint, cilantro, carrots, avocado, two shrimp, butter lettuce) to the bottom third of the paper closest to you.
- Roll rice paper away from you, folding in the sides about one-third in.
Recipe NoteFor peanut allergies, sunflower butter or your favorite non-nut spread is another option for the hoisin sauce.