African Peanut Stew
January 27, 2021
Celebrate African Heritage and Health Week with this healthy and comforting vegan stew. Exotic spices and nutty peanuts make the flavor profile of this dish unforgettable and crave-worthy. Serve with brown rice for a complete and filling meal!
- Course: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, cored and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayanne
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, for serving
Cooked brown rice, for serving
Roasted peanuts, for serving
- Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions are just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne then stir together and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, sweet potato, peanut butter and vegetable broth. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Stir in the lime juice. Season to taste, adding salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat.
- Dish into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts to serve. Add brown rice to bowls if desired.
Recipe NoteInspired by: Rainbow Plant Life
Slow Cooker Potato Soup with ChickenA warm, comforting bowl of soup is always perfect for a winter meal. The creamy potatoes, tender chicken and vegetables in this recipe will make this a new favorite. Even better - you can make this recipe ahead in your slow cooker and free...Read More
7 Quick and Easy Budget-Friendly MealsNeed dinner on a budget? These budget-friendly meals made with turkey, tuna, lots of veggies and more will keep your wallet full and your taste buds happy!Read More
From Baked Smokin’ Mac and Cheese to Slow Cooker Paleo Chili, we’ve got ...