Healthier Corned Beef and Cabbage
March 14, 2022
St. Patrick’s Day isn’t complete without a traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner! However, the classic version can be high in sodium and preservatives. But, you can still embrace the luck of the Irish while digging into this healthier version.
Corned Beef and Cabbage with a Healthy Twist
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Servings 4
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 30 minutes
- Passive Time 0 minutes
- 2 tbsp pickling spice
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper divided
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil divided
- 8 small carrots trimmed
- 2 cups baby potatoes halved
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 lb skirt steak trimmed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Make the spice mix in a small bowl by grinding pickling spice with a grinder and combining that with dry mustard, salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside half of the spice mix.
- Then, toss the cabbage, carrots and potatoes in a large bowl with half the spice mixture and 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Transfer to a large baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, 25-30 minutes.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, dill, mustard and the remaining 1/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl.
- After the vinaigrette is set aside, cut steak in half crosswise and rub with the remaining spice mixture. Heat remaining 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. After that, let the steak rest on clean cutting board for 5 minutes and then thinly slice against the grain.
- Finally, the roasted vegetables with the vinaigrette and serve with the steak.
- Serving Size: 3 Oz. Steak & 1 3/4 Cups Vegetables
- Per Serving: 437 calories; 24.1 g total fat; 5.6 g saturated fat; 74 mg cholesterol; 480 mg sodium. 1257 mg potassium; 27.4 g carbohydrates; 6.4 g fiber; 9 g sugar; 27.7 g protein; 16811 IU vitamin a iu; 45 mg vitamin c; 80 mcg folate; 90 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 66 mg magnesium
- Exchanges: 1 Starch, 3 Vegetable, 3 1/2 Lean Meat, 3 Fat