This means we have rigorous routine reviews to make sure we:
- Meet nationally recognized bariatric surgery benchmarks, outcomes, and standards of care.
- Commit to advancing high-quality care and patient safety for best possible outcomes.
- Have the resources and equipment to perform even the most complex bariatric surgery procedures.
- Offer continued support after weight loss surgery.
Providers that offer bariatric services at Renown:
Are you a candidate for weight loss surgery?In the United States, 40% of adults are considered obese (National Institute of Health, n.d.) and obesity is continuing to rise. Nearly 3 in 4 adults age 20 or older in the United States are either overweight or obese (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, 2022). Obesity is a chronic health condition that can cause health problems like Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, lead to heart disease, and even infertility.
Diet and exercise are typical ways individuals try to lose weight, however, sometimes this fails. Genetics and disease are beyond our control, and for these reasons you may be considering weight loss surgery.
Candidate selection for weight loss surgery is based on the National Institute of Health (NIH) guidelines which include the following:
- Ages 18 to 65
- Body mass index of 30 or greater with obesity related conditions such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or sleep apnea.
- Body mass index 40 and greater qualifies with or without other health issues
Most insurance companies cover weight loss surgery, but it is important for patients to contact the Customer Service phone number on the back of their insurance card to determine if it is covered by their insurance company.
Getting insurance approval can take time. Each insurance company has specific criteria that must be met prior to approving you for weight loss surgery. Our team will help coordinate between the patient, insurance plan and surgery staff to meet the criteria. You can view the insurance companies that are contracted with Renown Health here.
When a patient has met all of the insurance criteria, the surgeon's insurance specialist will submit your materials and letter of medical necessity to the insurance company. The patient will meet with the surgeon once a month preoperatively after they have been approved by the insurance company.