Pediatric Cancer Care and Hematology
Renown Health is the only pediatric cancer and hematology program in northern Nevada. We provide inpatient chemotherapy and outpatient infusion services on-site, as well as consultations and management for non-malignant hematologic conditions.As a member of Children’s Oncology Group, Renown is proud to offer our youngest patients quality care close to home. This membership gives local pediatric cancer patients access to the world’s largest organization devoted exclusively to childhood cancer and most leading-edge treatments.
What is Hematology and Oncology?Hematology refers to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases related to blood. Oncology refers to the area of medicine concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and study of cancer.
Conditions We Treat:
- Pediatric Cancers:
- Brain tumors (in collaboration with neurosurgical specialists at partner institutions)
- Bone/muscle sarcomas (in collaboration with surgical specialists at partner institutions)
- Wilms tumor (kidney)
- Hepatoblastoma (liver)
- Germ cell tumors
- Retinoblastoma (in collaboration with specialists at partner institutions)
- Anemias (acquired or hereditary)
- Immune-mediated blood disorders (hemolytic anemia, immune thrombocytopenia)
- Sickle-cell disease
- Bone marrow failure syndromes (aplastic anemia, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, Fanconi anemia)
- Clotting disorders
- Bleeding disorders (hemophilia, von Willebrand disease)
Programs & Services:
- Consultative hematology for children and adolescents
- Consults for suspected malignancies
- Inpatient and outpatient chemotherapy for children, adolescent and select young adults with cancer
- Transfusions (management of transfusion-related iron overload)
- Management of bleeding disorders
- Genetic counseling regarding inherited blood diseases
- Surveillance/monitoring of patients with cancer predisposition
- Long-term follow-up of childhood cancer survivors
Children's Miracle Network HospitalsChildren's Miracle Network Hospitals is a nonprofit organization that raises funds for children's hospitals in the U.S. and Canada. Renown Children's Hospital is the only Children's Miracle Network Hospital in northern Nevada. Learn More
Child Life Program
Helping young patients develop ways to cope with anxiety, fear, and separation that often accompany the hospital experience.Learn More
Austin was five years old when he was diagnosed with leukemia. A fever and pale looking skin prompted his mom, Brenda, to bring him into his primary care physician in Carson City. After doing some blood work, the fight to beat Austin's canc
Every year, 170 Children's Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH) across the country name a champion in each of their local communities who will serve as the face for children treated at their community’s children's hospital.
What is the role of the child life specialist? Here are common questions and answers about how these special individuals give both parents and kids peace of mind.
Let’s face it: A hospital can be an intimidating place for just about a