What is a High-Risk Pregnancy?
April 05, 2018
You can still have a healthy pregnancy and baby if your pregnancy is high-risk. Learn what steps you can take to give your baby the best start possible.
A “high-risk” pregnancy is one that threatens the health or life of the mother or her fetus. Women with high-risk pregnancies should receive care health care specialists to ensure the best possible outcomes.
- Maternal age, women 35 and higher or 17 and younger
- Lifestyle choices, including smoking, drinking alcohol and illegal controlled substances
- Existing medical history, chronic hypertension, diabetes and breathing issues
- Multiple gestation, pregnancy with twins or triplets
- Overweight and underweight
Remember: You can still have a healthy pregnancy and baby if your pregnancy is high-risk.Some ways to promote a healthy pregnancy:
- Schedule an appointment with your OBGYN
- Eat a balanced diet
- Avoid substances
- Prenatal care
- Healthy weight gain
- Reduce stress
Pregnancy & Childbirth at Renown | 775-982-KIDS (5437)
When you are expecting a new baby, you can depend on Renown Children’s Hospital for all your mom and baby healthcare needs.
We can help you find the right doctor and tell you what to expect during your stay. We offer childbirth education classes and tours to help you prepare.
Be sure to check out our virtual tours of our Labor Assessment Area.