Healthy Veggie Chili, Ready to Eat in Less than an Hour? Yes Please!
February 14, 2019
We’re always in search of cozy comfort foods for crisp winter evenings, but you know what’s even better? When the recipe takes less than an hour, start to finish. Here’s a recipe for healthy vegetarian chili that you can customize with your favorite beans.
Remember those Choose Your Own Adventure books you used to read as a child? Well here’s a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-inspired veggie chili. The adventure: Customizing it with your favorite beans! And once your selections are made and the veggies are chopped, this recipe should take about 40 minutes to prepare, from beginning to satisfying end.
Vegetarian Chili Feeds the Crowds
Here’s the recipe, which is fully customizable based on bean preferences and can also be adapted to slow cooking.
Healthy Vegetarian Chili
- Course: Guilt-Free, Heart Health, Main Dish, Tailgate
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegetarian
- Servings 4 quarts
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 40 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 each celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 each jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cups green or black lentils, cooked
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce/puree
- 3 15-ounce cans no-salt-added beans: chose from black, garbanzo, kidney, cannellini , pinto
- 2-4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium green zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small lime
- Lightly spray non-stick cooking spray onto heated non-stick pan on medium heat. Add onion, celery, peppers and garlic and cook until just lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, chipotle and oregano. Continue to cook on medium heat until all seasoning is incorporated.
- Stir in all tomatoes, beans and broth. Add zucchini and squash and then lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze in lime to taste before serving. Enjoy!
Renown Healthy Heart Program | 775-982-4035
Our expert team creates individualized rehabilitation plans tailored to each patient’s needs and provides the support that patients need to help them succeed. Participants are referred by their doctor following a heart attack, stent procedure, bypass surgery or other qualifying heart procedure.
Participants learn how to exercise safely, eat healthy, manage stress and cook nourishing, balanced meals, all while gaining a healthy mindset.
For more information, call us at 775-982-4035, visit us online or talk to your doctor.
The weight gain struggle is real with tempting holiday celebrations and treats. It’s hard to focus on nutrition with social events, shopping and a hectic schedule. And no one wants to diet during the holidays. Renown Health Registered...Read More