Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup
January 10, 2023
A warm, comforting bowl of soup is always perfect for a winter meal. The creamy potatoes, tender chicken and vegetables in this recipe will make this a unique favorite. Even better – you can prep this gluten-free recipe in your slow cooker and freeze the leftovers.
- Course: Gluten-Free, Dinner, Lunch, Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Servings 6
- Prep Time 15 Minutes
- Cook Time 4-5 Hours
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (8-9 potatoes)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (3-4 breasts)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes to soften. Pour the onion and garlic mixture into the crock of a large 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breast on top of the onions and garlic. Add the sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth, thyme, sage, Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and teaspoon black pepper. (optional cayenne pepper)
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours, stirring after 2 hours, until the potatoes are extremely soft. (Check the chicken at 4 hours. If it's cooked through, you can shred it and refrigerate it until the potatoes are tender and breaking apart. If you happen to have a slow cooker, you do not want to overcook the chicken.)
- If not previously removed, take the chicken breast from the crock. Stir the potato soup vigorously to break up the potatoes and thicken the broth. (You can make it extra creamy by partially pureeing the soup with an immersion blender. Or place 1 1/2 cups of the soup in a regular blender, puree, then stir back into the soup.)
- Shred or chop the chicken and add it back to the slow cooker along with lemon juice, fresh parsley and frozen corn. Stir well until corn is heated through – about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Add a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt and fresh chives to garnish.